Friday, July 13, 2007

Say, "Please".

I mentioned Jeff Key's documentary, Semper Fi, a few days ago. Jeff said that he saw a Marine talking to an Iraqi child, who was very hungry. The Marine had a Starburst in his hand and the child was begging for it. The Marine, rather than handing it over with a smile, since he not only had food, but CANDY, forced the child to say, "please".

Please? Are you kidding me? This is what we're teaching our soldiers in Values Training (not one Marine stepped in to stop it, and many laughed at the story when it was later retold)? We're getting rid of soldiers who have incredible loyalty to our country and amazing compassion for the people they were told attacked us for no other reason than their sexual preference, and yet we choose to allow these barbarians who are capable of unwarranted hatred towards the innocent to serve in our Armed Forces and represent our country.

We are not the cause of Islamofascism, but we are most certainly not the cure, not when Marines are requiring the contrition of hungry children before offering them a small piece of candy. It is stories like this (and there are a thousand of them) that reduce my pride in being an American, and even more, my pride in those who serve my country.

5 comments:

Scott said...

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

I think it's apparent that if you give a person a uniform and a gun he automatically becomes a "barbarians who are capable of unwarranted hatred." Or at least his propensity to commit these acts increases exponentially.

This is also true of police officers.

United We Lay said...

Scott,
I was goping to say that it doesn't do this for all of that, and while that's true, I know a lot of people who were good before putting on a uniform, and now a lot of them are people I am not proud to know. That's unfortunate. The problem is, they always had the ability for that in them, and I'd rather something happen to show me their true colors then for me to have been friends with them for years, never knowing what they were capable of.

In times of crisis some become generous and helpful. Others become opportunistic and predatory. I think the lines are clear.

Rue said...

what that soldier did was unconscionable plain and simple.
Giving a gun to an asshole doesn't make him a heroe. He's just an asshole with way too much power.

Guns in the hands of heroes makes people safe.

Seems fairly clear to me.
Don't give guns to assholes.

United We Lay said...

Our restrictions on who we let into the military (like former gang members) and we don't give them serious Core Values Training, there are bound to be problems. There would be fewer if our society wasn't morally ankrupt to begin with.

Animal said...

Great blog!
An interesting additional read to flood insurance here:
Do I Need Flood Insurance?