Monday, July 09, 2007

Anger and Politics

People who are merely agitated are more productive than people who are ANGRY (thanks Dr. Deb!), which might be one of the reasons there's an extreme lack of grassroots political movements in this country. The people who are inclined to enact political change are on average much too angry to be productive. I saw Blog Wars on the Sundance channel yesterday and watched what can happen in political campaigns with people power, and it made me wonder why we're not all involved in this. We should all be picking our favorite (or least favorite) candidate and posting as much information (positive AND negative) about them on our sites as possible. Even if it doesn't sway people to vote for our guy and finally, OUR GIRL (not a plug for the candidate, but the gender), it can start some interesting debate and keep us informed about the people we're supposed to be voting for (find out which candidate fits you best by visiting this site).

Here's what I'm proposing:
We start a new blog in which we post as often as possible about our political candidate and discuss what's happening in the campaigns. Information and analysis is what we're focusing on, but if people want to go to an appearance, ask the candidate questions, and post it on the blog, more power to them! I would really like to have Republican candidates represented as well. Maybe we should all choose an issue that's really important to us and analyze each candidate's position on it. What do you think? And what should we name it? Can we really afford NOT to do this?

13 comments:

Cranky Yankee said...

What happened to the post about the lee greenwood song?

All the candidates suck so far.

United We Lay said...

Cranky,
It got moved to I Am a Constnat Scholar, one of my other blogs. The address is on my sidebar.

United We Lay said...

PTR,
Just to be clear, I deleted you becuae you posted the same thing 4 times, and it was a rather long article that you posted on my blog without permission. Feel free summarize the article and repost the link.

Rue said...

This is a great idea. I am Canadian so I won't be participating. At least not until I have a candidate lol!
It's hard for American people to focus right now because there seems to be so much to be angry about.There just seems to be one thing after another with this administration. You're right though. Now is the time for all of you to take a deep breath and focus on the candidate you think will bring about the changes you need to see. I personally believe that the last two terms you had in office a group of people who simply didn't represent the heart and soul I know exists in your country. That, in and of itself is a reason enough for change.

Paul said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
daveawayfromhome said...

Okay, maybe you ought to go back to clearing your comments (whatever that's called). I dont care for it, but this is ridiculous.

Also, I'd suggest that while you can copy a post and its comments to other blogs, getting rid of them altogether from this one may be messing with people's links to here, which isnt a good thing.

United We Lay said...

You should apologize, and this is childish. Now I have to spend 15 minutes deleting forever all of the comments so that people can read what others have ACTUALLY written. I have never discouraged discourse, but this is uncalled for.

Saur♥Kraut said...

If Fred Thompson throws his hat in the ring, I'll write. ;o)

United We Lay said...

Strangely enough, my troll showed up on the anger in politics pages and made it clear that even adults feel so divided by this political climate that they are resorting to childish pranks in order to derail whomever they feel is their opposition. Even more sadly, I had already written a post to publish today in response tot he article PTR had published on my blog with a link to the article. I am insulted that someone felt I am so unreasonable that they had to resort to drastic measures in order to get my attention. My 10 month old son isn't that demanding, and PTR's actions reduced by an hour the amount of time I was able to spend with him this morning because I had to clean up my site. Okay, enough about that.

United We Lay said...

Cranky,
The candidates absolutely suck so far. Here's the thing - if we don't get all of the information possible about them BEFORE the primary, we're going to be stuck with someone who really, truly sucks on a level of suckiness we may not even be aware exists.

Rue,
My believe has always been that you vote for the candidate you think SHOULD win, not the one you think CAN win. I don't know when we switched to the consumeristic politics we've been practicing, but our ideals and morals have pretty much flown out of the window. Also, I know how mcuh you follow American politica. You, and anyone else overseas, is more tha welcome to add to this discussion and debate anytime.

Dave,
You're right. I didn't realize that was a problem. Is there a way to just transfer them over, link and all?

United We Lay said...

Saur,
So far I'm most politically alligned with Kusinich, which probably isn't a surprise to those who know me. I'd be interested in seeing the results of everyone's issues quiz.

Cranky Yankee said...

It should be fun to watch Fred Thompson be destroyed. An ex-lobbyist(he was Trent Lott's personal gatekeeper for nearly 20 years), lazy 1.33 term senator (he quit because the job was too demanding. He went right back to work as a K-Street Lobbyist), messy personal life and actor...

Hell, even Nixon referred to him as dumb. His Watergate shenanigans (he was basically a GOP mole in the Independent Counsels office) ought to be enough to doom him and ensure Hillary gets elected, not that that is such a good thing.

I love Dennis Kucinich and Mike Gravel, but let's face it... Sen. Obama is pretty good too. We'll see... Hillary has the corporate machine behind her and will probably be our next president.

United We Lay said...

A win for Hillary would be a win for women overall, but not necessarily for America, though having her as President would be MUCH better than having Rommney.