Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Philadelphia Folk Festival

Last year I wrote about attending my first Philadelphia Folk Festival in years. Last year I was incredibly huge and couldn't volunteer, but we'll be pulling our weight this year. It's 3 days (this year, August 17th to the 19th) of music and harmony (in every sense of the word) and I would say that it can be an almost religious experience. For 3 days a year on a farm in Schwenksville, everyone gets together (some camp, some don't) to enjoy amazing music (this year's theme is Through the Looking Glass!!!) by mostly independent artists. There are plenty of things for families to do together, and there are even children's music performers!

Last year a lot of people wrote me and said, 'Why didn't you tell us a month beforehand so that we could plan to go?" So, here's your warning. If you'd like to go and you don't want to camp, we're about a mile from the site. Bring your bike and you can ride up there (warning: there are hills in PA).

2 comments:

Laura said...

Sounds like fun. We have our annual Folk & Roots Festival this weekend. It's at a park 2 blocks from our apartment, but we're going to be out of town for it. Oh well.

United We Lay said...

That sucks. We we're out of state for a few years and I was dsappointed. My family's been going to the Folk Fest for over 30 years (there are claims that one of my uncles was a founding memeber, but who knows?) We're excited. There will be a lot of great acts this year.