Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Because They're Crooks

CNN is finally asking the question: Why do gas prices follow oil up but not down? They're trying to say that it's basic economics, but I think we all know that's bullshit. The commission last year that determined that price gauging was not happening outright LIED. Driving around town will make that pretty clear. Yesterday I drove no more than a mile down one road from the poor part of town into an extremely wealthy area. The price of gas (again, after driving no more than a mile) raised 30 cents when I crossed the township line. Is the government really trying to tell me that driving half a mile down the road justifies that kind of a hike, especially when we live close to refineries and there's absolutely no reason for that kind of difference? If we're going to let the oil and gas companies fuck us in the ass, let's not pretend that they're bending over as well.

And again, if we would all use less oil, buy fewer plastics, and DRIVE LESS, our troops could come home, the assholes in power would have less money, and we would be doing a lot more to help the environment.

5 comments:

Life As I Know It Now said...

yes, yes, yes and YES! Watch "Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room" to see another example of how a corporation can cut production in order to raise prices. Bush won't do shit about it either because it's his best buds raking in the dough.

TomCat said...

I don't drive, but the reason prices are so high is that our nation's energy policies were written by Big Oil and Big Energy, behind Cheney's locked door.

Anonymous said...

I've seen several "No Blood for Oil" bumper stickers on the back of those big ass SUVs (not even the little ones). Is that a bad joke or are they really that dumb?

No, it's not basic economics. I think there is some price gauging going on.

And again, if we would all use less oil, buy fewer plastics, and DRIVE LESS, our troops could come home, the assholes in power would have less money, and we would be doing a lot more to help the environment.

Yup, yet another reason I'd like to do biodiesel again. If anything is saying f*** you to the oil companies, it's getting my fuel from the used oil from the Mexican restaurant.

Graeme said...

hell yes. Nice post

United We Lay said...

Hey guys,
I'd like to believe that I can turn off moderation soon. i'm trying to reason with people. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Liberality,
Ive seen a lot of excellent docs about this subject, but not that one. It looks like I have homework!

Tomcat,
We live past Public trans lines, so we have to drive, but we do it as little as possible, and we don't drive the car my father-in-law left us often because it's a guzzler.

Zombie,
Oil is just one of the reasons. I have a feeling we're going to find out all of them 60 years from now. I think that guy was probably an ass. Pulled up to a huge brand new SUV the other day. Not realizing that their window was open, I said to my husband, "Al Gore says, "Thanks" and pointed to the truck. The guy overheard and called me a freak. I thought he must be incredibly stupid for that to be his only retort.

Graeme,
Thanks. I've been hitting a few subjects pretty hard, but I think people are okay with that.