Monday, June 25, 2007

Thinking Green

I don't believe in supporting the movie industry. I think it has sold out in a variety of ways, and I'm not going to get into them now. I haven't gone to see it yet, but I feel I should support Evan Almighty for its work in creating a green set. Whatever your stance on Global Warming, it goes without saying that humans need to reduce their impact on the environment. I applaud Universal Studios, director Tom Shadyac, and The Conservation Fund for setting a new standard for making movies.

In the same general vein, Big Ideas for a Small Planet on the Sundance Channel has become one of my favorite series. It has given us a lot of great ideas for things we can do around the house and organizations we can get involved in to help reduce our carbon footprint.

And in totally off-the-wall environmental news, a lake in Chile has disappeared recently. It's probably not due to Global Warming, though a rise in the suspected earthquakes may be connected to climate change.

War is never good for the environment, but it's GREAT for overpopulation:
3,557 US Soldiers killed in Iraq
26,129 US Soldiers wounded in Iraq (at least we'll have a use for some of those plastics)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The biggest environmental problem is not global warming, but overpopulation. It's one of the most unpolitically correct topics though, so nobody ever brings it up.

If we continue breeding like crazy, our carbon footprint will only increase.

United We Lay said...

True, overpopulation is a HUGE problem, though I have a feling Global Warming will thin us out some. I guess we'll jus have to have more wars and unleash a few more diseases.

Dr. Deb said...

I don't go to the movies like I have int he past. Maybe once or twice a year. The amount of money made behind the scenes (not just huge actor salaries) is mind boggling.

Holly said...

Why doesn't the corporations realize if they are just looking for money they can make money improving the environment

United We Lay said...

Dr. Deb,
Most of the movies being made now are hugely over rated. Showtime and HBO are making great movies, and you don't have to pay throught the nose. I do go to the movies to support some causes or actors that I feel are doing what they should. Say what you want about Brad Pitt, but he donates an insane amount of money to charity and uses a lot of his own to make movies that bring attention to the causes he feels are important. I'll go see "Sicko" this weekend, and I'll probably buy "Even Almighty" on DVD, which could be more environmentally sound than actually going to the theater, though Like Diamonds, Plastics are Forever.

United We Lay said...

Holly,
Because we have to prove they can make money by helping the envirionment. They're not really good at taking risks when it means sacrificing comfort or cash. Less people are going to the movies because they're spending all their money on gas, so if they're going to go, it has to be spectacular. Image is everything, and green hasn't come into its own yet. It's hard to convince many companies that green can be great for business.

Flimsy Sanity said...

What zombieslayer said.