Sunday, June 24, 2007

Stop the Hate

On Flimsy Sanity there is a discussion going on about racism. Several people have taken the "what can you do" approach, and that it really disturbing for me. The don't-make-waves culture of America has gone to far and everyone is so concerned about Political Correctness that they have completely forgotten about Actual Correctness.

It is NOT okay to be racist. It's just not. Don't make excuses. Don't say, "everyone has to hate someone". Don't laugh uncomfortably and walk away. It is WRONG to hate someone because of their race. Yes, everyone has a right to their opinion, but if their opinion is offensive or intolerant, YOU have the right to call them on it. all you have to do is say, "I am not a racist person and I would really appreciate it if you would not make those comments/jokes around me." How hard is that?

It is NOT okay to proselytize. Again, let's not make excuses. It is not okay for someone to come to my home and try to convince me that the way I am living my life is wrong. It is WRONG to try and make everyone think that if they don't believe what you believe, they are going to hell. You shouldn't have to hide inside, turn the TV down, and pretend you're not home. Open the door. Say, "I am an adult. I know all about religion and I am not interested in hearing what you have to say. I don't appreciate you coming to my home to tell me that how I'm living my life is wrong. Please don't come back here again." Then shut the door.

5 comments:

TomCat said...

In the main, I agree. Opinions are like a... never mind. Everybody has one. And everybody has the right to hold any opinion on any subject. On the other hand, if one opts to share an opinion in a public forum, others have a right to discuss it, stating whether they agree or disagree and why, and the moderator of the forum has the right to delete an opinion he or she finds finds offensive. For example, I find SPAM offensive. I also find racism offensive and have deleted the comment of a well known neo-Nazi from my blog for repeated disparaging use of the N word. It is also the right for anyone to chose not to associate with those whose opinions they find offensive, which is why I completely agree about proselytizing. However, you'd split your sides laughing if you could the response of the local JWs to me when they come to call. I pretend to be gay and VERY interested it them. ;-)

daveawayfromhome said...

When discussing racism, we need to make sure that we are actually talking about race (genetic traits uncontrollable by anyone)(except, perhaps, parents) and culture (traits chosen by a society for whatever reason)(hopefully to survive, but not necessarily).
A lot of what is called "racism" today is actually culturism, which (while it may, or may not, be bad) is a whole other discussion, but is too often used as a bludgeon with a "race" label attached to it.

United We Lay said...

Dave,
That is an excellent point. There are cultural traits associated with certian countries that people use to define enitre races. My husband is often a victim of this, as he is Colombian (HUGE cultural differences from Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Cubans, and other Central Americans), and fairly dark skinned. Many assume he is Mexican, some think he is arabic, which has been an issue for us several times, mostly in the south.

Godwhacker said...

Good points and I agree. When someone makes a racist remark, I casually but firmly express my disapproval. The only way to judge people is as individuals. Racism and bigotry group us all into herds, labeling us with collective guilt and collective achievements, none of which reflect the individuals.

United We Lay said...

I think we're truly into labels in this country. Everyone has to belong to some group. It's one of the reasons myspace is so popular. Kids feel theneed to belong, and quiz each other about what groups they belong to and how many friends they have. Adults label each other as Democrats, Liberals, Conservatives, Republicans, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc.. It's just a way to divide us and pit us against each other. wha would happen if we stopped using them? Would we all get along better?