Monday, March 26, 2007

Something to Live For

Last night on 60 Minutes John Edwards and his wife were interviewed about their decision to stay in the Presidential race despite Elizabeth's ongoing battle with cancer. The questions were difficult. It almost seemed like the interviewer was trying to convince them to drop out of the race, but they handled each question beautifully - the way any Presidential candidate should. Last night's interview showed that John Edwards can be diplomatic and Presidential, which was no doubt part of the goal, and I applaud Elizabeth for choosing to deal with her disease based on what she feels is best for herself, her family, and her country.

Make no mistake, this is not a post about John Edwards. This is about the choice one woman has made to continue to battle an awful disease by choosing to live her life. It's true that a political campaign is hard on the body and mind, but after the interview I saw last night, I have no doubt that Elizabeth can handle it. I also have no doubt that it was HER decision that kept John in the race. She believes in her husband and she believes that his Presidency would be what's best for America. While that remains to be seen, she has done what all cancer patients are told to do - find something to live for. I hope that her very public battle will serve as inspiration for anyone living with terminal disease such as cancer. I wish her good luck and good health.

11 comments:

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

I don't like the fact that it's even an issue and one gets the feeling that the pity-vote could well be a tactic.

United We Lay said...

In their defense, they weren't the ones who made it an issue. Everything in American politics is public, even if it shouldn't be. I think they came out with it so that they couldn't be accused of withholding it later. I'm not sure they're going for the pity vote because the opposite is happening. People are annoyed that they're staying in the race when it could be a detriment to her health. I personally feel that no one should know about her health, but am glad that she's pushing forward despite the diagnosis. However, her health could have an effect on him as a leader, and the American people feel they have a right to question that.

TomCat said...

The way people like Rush Limbaugh made it an issue, accusing them of using it to jump start their campaign, sickens me. The decision was theirs, and I respect her courage.

Thanks for your visit to and comment at PP.

United We Lay said...

Tom,
I agree. I think this shows that everything has become politicized. Americans are starting to live their lives based on politics. Trying to live your life based on the way others will perceive you is no way to live. I think by staying in the race they were avoiding that. They knew how staying in would make them look, and they knew how dropping out would make them look. The decided to make the decision that was best for them regardles of what the rest of the country would think.

United We Lay said...

Rush Limbaugh has already been discredidted as a liar and drug user.

Cranky Yankee said...

UWL - Being a drug user is not what discredits Rush Limbaugh. In fact it is the only thing about that is not discrediting. It is the only human part of him. Everything else about him is evil and disgusting. It is evidenced by his grotesque outward appearance and obesity.

As to the Edwards - My mother had breast cancer and according to her, work was what helped her make it through. What I found particularly disgusting was that whore Katy Couric using the sleazy journalistic cop-out "There are those who say..." to editorialize about their situation. In fact it was she who worked while her husband was dying of cancer.

This country would be lucky to have a man and woman like the Edwards in the white house. But alas we get the leaders we deserve.

Cranky Yankee said...

I would also like to wish Tony Snow the best. He may be an unprincipled fascist mouth piece, but he doesn't deserve to be cursed with cancer. I hope he too fights a strong public fight.

daveawayfromhome said...

I was impressed with Snow's words about Edwards' cancer. I suspect it may be one of the few genuinely human things he's said in the last 7 years.

United We Lay said...

Cranky,
You're right. I hould have worded that better. He's discredited because he was a drug user and lied about it, among lying about hundreds of other things. I was annoyed at Katie Couric for that. Notice that I didn't use her name so as not to give her any additional press. As a women, I'm also upset with her. You never heard a male anchor say anything like that. Just ask the question.

I was thinking about doing a post on Snow as well, but I'm not really into it. We wish him all the best in his recovery. The nature of his cancer sounds like something he won't recover from, though, and I certainly wish his family all of the strength and courage they need. Having a family member with a terminal disease is horrifying. I can only hope they come through it with grace and dignity.

Dave,
His words about Elizabeth showed a spirit of humanity unclouded by partisanship, and I was glad to see that he did not allow the press to politicize cancer in his presence.

TomCat said...

I've seen a fair amount of gloating from our side of the political fence over Snow's cancer, and I feel ashamed of it. Tony Snow is a snake and a political enemy, but personally, I wish him a complete recovery.

United We Lay said...

Tomcat,
I haven't, but I haven't really been looking, either. I think there are certain things that you don't politicize, no matter which side of the fence you're on.