Monday, November 14, 2005

Do No Harm: Self

The idea that someone else has the right to decide what we do with or to our bodies is absurd. There is something to be said for the survival of the fittest, and there comes a time when compassion must be balanced with caution. Removing personal responsibility from the person can only be a recipe for a disaster. While there are people who mentally or physically cannot care for themselves, the majority of us should be on our own. That is not to say that help should not be provided to us, but whether to seek or accept that help is our responsibility. For any government to suggest that they have the right to limit our personal choices is arrogant beyond belief. To do so is to say, "we know better than you", when in fact, they don't.

If a person wants to end their life, it is their choice. In some situations, ending one's life is the highest form of honor, in others, it is simply an act of mercy. If a person is experiencing chronic and unrelenting pain, dealing with a chronic or terminal illness, or suffering from a degenerative disease, the option to end their lives without consequence should be available to them. If someone wants to kill themselves simply because life has become too difficult for them, by all means, allow them to do so, after reminding them that their family will not be able to claim their life insurance. It is their life, and by definition, their choice, assuming, of course, that they are of legal age and not suffering from mental illness of some sort.

Chemical substances of any kind should be regulated, clearly labeled, and seriously considered before they are used. Organic substances, however, should be consumed at will. Each of us is responsible for what we knowingly put into our bodies. Why should anyone else get to decide how much I eat, drink, or smoke if I am doing it in the confines of my own home? We should all be held responsible for our own overuse as well. Medical conditions resulting from abuse of any substance should not be covered by the government, nor should the government be responsible for the detoxification or rehabilitation of anyone who overindulged.

12 comments:

exMI said...

"Medical conditions resulting from abuse of any substance should not be covered by the government, nor should the government be responsible for the detoxification or rehabilitation of anyone who overindulged."

My my my, there is some libertarian hiding inside you isn't there? I agree with this.

Chris Voidis said...

An excellent post! I agree fully with your position. Too many responsibilities are taken away from the citizen, and that does breed the kind of indifference (and docility) that many of our societies suffer from...

United We Lay said...

Exmi,
There is no reason why our tax dollars should ever pay for anything people do to themselves. This includes medical care for people who get Hep C from drug use or tatoos, those who have heart attacks and go on disability because they couldn't watch their choleserol, anyone who gets AIDS or HIV from unprotected sexual contact (not including rape), etc. I don;t expect the government to cover any of my medical bills from the Lyme's disease. I knew the risk I was taking when I was walking in that part of the woods. I also know that had I not been so stubborn and gone to the doctor sooner, I wouldn't have this problem. Why should tax dollars pay for my lapse in judgement?

United We Lay said...

Chris,
Strangely enough, I am registered Republican. When I turned 18 my neighbor, who was on the local school board, pulled me aside and told me a secret. "I know this is highly illegal", he said, "but in this county, in fact, in most of PA, if you are not registered as a Republican, you will not be hired as a teacher. It's a battle I've been fighting for years. I know you want to teach. Do yourself a favor. Register Republican and always vote in the primaries. If you really care about education, though, I would think twice before voting for any Republican candidate." That was nearly 10 years ago. I'm still registered as a Republican, but other than primaries, have NEVER votted for one. My ploitical views span all arenas, which is one of the reasons I'm SO against political partires. That is, incidently, why Washington and Jefferson were against them as well. Thomas Jefferson is my hero, so if I had to pick, I guess I'd be Jeffersonian!

exMI said...

Wow, two things inb a row we agree on. The end must be coming..... :)

Three Score and Ten or more said...

I won't deal with much in the post itself, but I am major league pissed off, whoops, irritated that those who hire educators in your area even have access to voting records. Of all the immoralities we have batted words about, that is one of the chief ones. I don't even have a way to adequately express my rage. I think I'll go outside and stomp on a cockroach. (in Georgia, we always have them around, and I can't kick the cat or anything like that.)

mal said...

some one may have the wisdom of foresight to consume drugs (alcohol included) in their own home. My question is what happens when they are blasted out of their minds and leave the home for public places? Does not society have a right to protect itself from that? If so, does that give society the right to control (or ban) some of the more dangerous substances?

BTW, you use the term "organic", are you using it in its scientific sense or are you referring to naturally growing materials?

United We Lay said...

Leaving your home opens up a whole can of worms. I would suggest that people who leave their home while intoxicated be fined, then jailed if necessary. As far as organic, if we're only allowing substances that are only naturally grown, then that takes care of most of the more dangerous drugs. For the others, if you can't control yourself, it's really all on you.

Saur♥Kraut said...

This is such a gray area. I'm not Catholic, but the Catholics believe that if you commit suicide you go straight to hell - no deposit, no return. I don't know if I'd ever want to take that risk (and yes, at one time I DID consider suicide briefly).

However, I also have always had a hard time telling people who are in great pain that they don't have the right to 'opt out' of life. For instance, I went through a nasty surgery last week and remember distinctly the extreme pain I was in. I told my friend, Zen Buddhist, that if this pain was something I'd have to live with for the rest of my life, I'd call Dr. Kevorkian.

And I think of my grandmother, who said that she wanted me to make sure that she didn't live as a senile old woman. She said to just stop giving her the meds she was on. Would that be suicide? Would it be murder? How could it be, when these drugs were artificially sustaining life to begin with?

There are no easy answers, IMHO.

United We Lay said...

What is right is rarely easy, and what is easy is rarely right.

The Zombieslayer said...

For any government to suggest that they have the right to limit our personal choices is arrogant beyond belief. To do so is to say, "we know better than you", when in fact, they don't.

Wonderful post PC. This is where the Libertarian Party and I agree 100%.

United We Lay said...

I didn't know the party agreed with me. I try to stay away from political parties except for employment purposes.