Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Health Care Headaches

I've spent most of today in the University of Pennsylvania hospital waiting for my sister to be called into surgery. It has given me a troubling look at the health care system in our country and the people who rely on it. My sister has had to rely on the health care system since she was born with Tetrollogy of Fallot. When she turned 21, my parents had to petition their insurance company to keep her on because she cannot care for herself. She must rely partially on Social Security for income and health care. They have fought us tooth and nail on her open-heart surgery, and we were delayed hours today because they hadn't cleared her. It is now nearly five, we've been here since early this morning, and they have just taken her into the operating room. It took us all day to make sure the surgery was covered, and now we have to start working on her recovery. I'm tired, frustrated, haven't eaten in two days, and I could really use some help from my government.

10 comments:

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Heart goes out to you, shame that health care works out like that in the US.

We have a slightly better system here, although years of cuts by the Conservatives and then New Labour's obsession with pen-pushers has made our health service a little shabby.

It still means that no matter what you earn you get free health care whether you insured or not.

Bring her to the UK!

The Zombieslayer said...

You ever watch the Dave Chappelle show? They had one episode when Dave Chappelle was running for Congress and one of his platforms was Canadian ID cards for all U.S. citizens. That would take care of the health care problem here. Very funny.

United We Lay said...

Surgery is over, she's in recovery. The neurosurgeon said it went well, the cardiologist is optimistic. Thanks for the support. I'll post again when she wakes.

GodlessMom said...

I'm glad to hear her surgery went well. My thoughts are with you and your family.

tshsmom said...

Hope this will improve things for your sister!

Anonymous said...

HUP is a great place, and I know that the doctors' hands are tied by so many restrictions. My father works there (has an office at the top where he does animal research to study sleep apnea) and he has had troubles in the past.

I wish only the best for your sister and your family. I understand how trying these times can be. What's important is that you are able to be there for her.

United We Lay said...

She's home now, alert, and doing fine. Thanks for all the positive thoughts. I'll be helping her recover for the next few days, and giving my mom a bit of a break when I can, so I may be a little light on the blogging, but please be patient with me.

Saur♥Kraut said...

I'm so sorry to hear your sister is unwell, and glad to hear she's doing better!

greatwhitebear said...

It is a shame that in the world's wealthiest country, you should have to fight for her health care!

I am so glad it came out well! Continued good luck!

Anonymous said...

I agree the health care system has a major problem with over 45 million uninsured and something should be done to improve this situation.