Sunday, February 18, 2007

Look Straight at the Coming Disaster

Women on the Verge of Thinking has championed the cause of mental health for a long time and I agree that it is just as important as good physical health. Unfortunately, not everyone is comfortable doing what is necessary to maintain it. There is a stigma that comes with counseling or therapy, and I find that extremely disturbing.

Everyone needs a little help now and then. There are just some things that we aren't meant to handle on our own. When someone close to use dies or we dive head-first into some unexpected transition, it is important that we have someone to talk to. If you're not comfortable talking to friends or relatives, a therapist, counselor, or whatever you want to call them, can often shed some light on a subject you may be approaching from only one point of view.

When you know something life-changing is coming your way, it doesn't hurt to check in with someone who is not personally invested. There is no shame in seeking advice or consolation from a neutral party. It just may be what you need to take the next (or the first) step toward better mental health.

8 comments:

Laura said...

Absolutely. I think it's a failure of our health care system that mental health services are rarely covered to the extent they should be.

United We Lay said...

I think we get 6 sessions a year under my health plan.

Laura said...

Yeah, totally inadequate IMHO. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

I agree UWL.
Odd as that might be and as bad as it might make u feel for me to agree with you, I do. Haha.
I think that any non-invested opinion is good. I think 3-4-5 non invested opinions are better. Very good post.
js

Anonymous said...

The availabillity of mental health benefits are not so much the result of an amorphous health care system. Health plans either fall under state mandated group plans or indemnity plans, or employer funded group plans.

State mandated plans usually follow state or federal guidelines under the Mental Health Parity Act which requires health plans to make the benefits for mental health on the same level as medical. Not included under the MHPA, are self-funded (employer) groups which do not have to follow these guidelines. Many school systems custom make the health plans they have for their employees, so they too, fund their own health plans. It is up to them to determine what level of mental health benefits they will make available for their employees. If you are a teacher with this type of plan, make your needs or wants known, or perhaps there is a tier system of coverage that can raise the mental health benefit provision.

I work in a psychologist's office, so I see first hand the necessity for quality mental health care. There is absolutely no reason why anyone should shrink from quality therapy, including men. Men seem more retiscent (sp?) towards MH therapy, though I can see there are quite a number of "feel good" approaches that are a sham. Finding a good therapist requires some trial and error. Here's a helpful hint: if you see someone who lists themselves as 'Schema Therapists,' who use the cognitive techniques of Dr. Jefferey Young, give them a call. It is an incredibly effect means to gain solid footing in the shakey world of mental health.

Peace to you all.

R said...

Good post! I totally agree. When I first started seeing a therapist, I didn't discuss it with anyone. After a while, I realized that since I was actually IN therapy, I was probably saner than most. I agree about the health care thing as well -- it should be covered as preventative care.

United We Lay said...

UL,
Pennsylvania Schoolse have an excellent health plan with a lot fo coverage, including mental health. The union is strong in PA. Teachers are paid mor ethan they are in most states, so whatever their plans don't cover, they can most likely afford on their own.

Dean said...

Thanks for writing thhis