Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Legends, All

When I was growing up I often had my mother around. Every day at 4PM I could count on being incredibly bored as Oprah was on TV and it was the ONLY time of day that my sister and I were forbidden from changing the channel (until 6PM when my Dad got home and put on the news). When my mother went back to work, I continued watching Oprah (I was 13) and I often found her show interesting. I particularly enjoyed her book club (not started until much later), but her program seemed mostly uplifting and a break from what daily talk shows seem to have become.

With all of Oprah's talk about women, especially those in positions of power, it became clear to me that, as a woman, it is my duty to give something back. She is one of the first women who made it clear that we could be anything we wanted. We did not have to be homemakers. We didn't have to get married (poor Stedmand). We certainly did not have to have children. None of these things defined us. Only our intelligence, our generosity, and the way we choose to live our lives really determines who we are. Even so, Oprah felt the need to celebrate the "ordinary" women, the homemakers, the teachers, the grandmothers, so that we may be inspired by the way they have lived there lives and learn from their example.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Oprah worshiper. I haven't watched her program in years, though I think I should probably start again. But it was her Legend's Ball that brought me back to the table and made me realize that I have been neglectful in my duties to myself, to the women in my life, and MOST ESPECIALLY, to the women around the world. First, I am going to start by getting involved in women's issues. I have a few months off from work, I might as well use it to the advantage of those around me. Next, I will be writing letters to my local, state, and federal representatives to find out exactly what they're doing to help women and telling them what I think they SHOULD be doing. Finally, I am going to start my own local women's organization where we can share our successes, our failures, and continue along the course of providing for women's needs, fighting for women's rights, and honoring those that have helped us come this far.

6 comments:

Ed said...

Although I don't watch Oprah, I do realize that her impact on our society has been enormous. I sure hope that there is a generation of females who have watched her that turn out to be just as influencial. I wish you the best of success in your endeavor.

United We Lay said...

Thank you. You know, men can be involved in women's issues, as well! There are women in your life who would benefit from your involvement.

Jessica said...

Oprah rocks. I'm not fond of her taste in books, and I can't stand to watch her regular episodes about spousal abuse, anorexia, or dysfunctional families, but I give her a lot of credit.

I love that she was a journalist. I love that she makes Chicago look good. I love that she's mentored so many others--blacks, women, kids, aspiring actors, etc. And her interview with Queen Latifah was just about the coolest daytime television I ever saw while on maternity leave.

United We Lay said...

I don't always like her books, either, but some of them have been pretty good.

Notsocranky Yankee said...

I don't watch Oprah at home, but when I layover in Cincinnati, I usually get to watch it while getting ready to go back to Europe. I've seen a lot of interesting things, and find myself mentioning them to either my husband or my daughter and they give me these "you were watching Oprah?!" looks. Yes, and I actually enjoyed it. I think she has been a great role model for a wide-range of women, and that's quite an accomplishment!

I also catch Ellen's morning show if I'm not out running at that time...

United We Lay said...

Ellen's pretty good, too, though I dodn't get to watch her often, either. I think we, as a nation, and especiall as women, need to support those women who are in the public eye, AND make sure they're representing us in a way we feel is appropriate.