Monday, September 05, 2005

Steal This Movie (or Book)

I highly recommend this movie/book to anyone who's feeling a little political at the moment. It's actually called "Steal This Movie/Book" because the author wanted his story to get out, but didn't want people to have o pay to read or watch it. It is about Abbie Hoffman, leader of the Yippie movement (flower children who have grown thorns), starring Janine Garofalo. I have found that when I'm feeling directionless, watching movies about political movements and the people who started them always light a fire under my butt. Iron Jawed Angles starring Selma Hayek is about the Women's Suffrage movement, and is also an excellent movie. If you're feeling especially subversive, Grass starring Woody Harrelson is informative and interesting, and Reefer Madness, The Musical starring Christian Campbell is great comedic relief. Today I will be making Chocolate Silk Tofu Pie (excellent, despite the tofu, recipes available compliments of my husband, the Chef), and watching a few movies. There's an Amazing Race marathon on the gameshow network, and we're watching it to see if we can pick up any pointers. See, Anonymous, I DO know how to relax!

4 comments:

United We Lay said...

The pie turned out very well. The secret, apparently, is a little Grand Marnier, Buttershot, and Khaluha.

United We Lay said...

Barbara Bush: Things Working Out "Very Well" for Poor Evacuees from New Orleans


By E&P Staff / Editor & Publisher

NEW YORK -- Accompanying her husband, former President George H.W.Bush, on a tour of hurricane relief centers in Houston, Barbara Bush said today, referring to the poor who had lost everything back home and evacuated, "This is working very well for them."

The former First Lady's remarks were aired this evening on National Public Radio's "Marketplace" program.

She was part of a group in Houston today at the Astrodome that included her husband and former President Bill Clinton, who were chosen by her son, the current president, to head fundraising efforts for the recovery. Sen. Hilary Clinton and Sen. Barack Obama were also present.

In a segment at the top of the show on the surge of evacuees to the Texas city, Barbara Bush said: "Almost everyone I’ve talked to says we're going to move to Houston."

Then she added: "What I’m hearing is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality.

"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this--this (she chuckles slightly) is working very well for them."

Jeff said...

Didn't Abbie Hoffman drive himself nuts though? I haven't watched that movie in quite some time so I don't exactly remember, but it is indeed a good one. I have no idea why, but anything with Janeane Garafolo in it is G-R-E-A-T with me. I think she's hot...especially in The Truth About Cats and Dogs. She is the winner. For another VERY under the radar yet still a very great flick, I would recommend Home Grown with Billy Bob Thornton. Great flick there. Then again, anything with Billy Bob Thornton is pretty much worth at least a glance. Have a hoot and enjoy relaxing. I was beginning to worry about you for a bit. I am not the Anonymous dude either. I read alot of the stuff being said and I am not one to be harshly critical in the shadows. I hope that the other day when I said what I said you understand that it was genuine concern. We may stare at each other from opposite sides of the fence most of the time, but we are very much the same person as well, so I recognize the symptoms of losing your mind as mine has to be caught more than I care to declare. Have a hoot and I'll try to get back a little more. Work this weekend took it's toll on me and my time. Until later...

United We Lay said...

Jeff,
We are, I agree, very much alike. I go back and forth, but most of the time, I'm in full control of my mind. It has been a rough year, and my perceptions have changed a lot. It wasn't all that long ago that I was on your side of the fence. And really, we are on the same side. All that matters is our concern for people and their well-being. Who we vote for, what we smoke, if we worship... that's all just details.